Getting Aussie Business Online
MYOB and Google have teamed up to provide a free way for all Australian businesses to get their own web site complete with their own .com.au domain name. All you need in order to be able to get such a site is an ABN (Australian Business Number). Simply go to “Getting Business Online” and press the “Get Started” button.
Simply by filling out a few forms you get a web site with the following features:
- Your contact details so that potential clients/customers know how to contact you (including an optional Google map).
- An optional gallery to showcase your products,
- An optional news section displaying entries from your Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin accounts.
- An optional page offering files for download – suitable for your pricelist and other information you want to make available.
- Links to other web sites you want to promote.
- An optional form to capture the details of people who wish to receive any newsletters you produce.
- A free .com.au domain name for two years.
- $75 AdWords credit to advertise your site
- Google Analytics integration so you can get statistics about your visitors.
While these free web sites are somewhat limited in what you can do with them, they are really easy for any business owner to be able to set up for themselves and so providing a really easy way for any Australian business to get something on the web using their own domain name which is registered in your name so that you actually own it – this alone saves you between $30 and $200 in setup costs (MYOB normally charges $66). Note also that the hosting is only free for one year so if you are wondering what’s in it for MYOB the answer is that if your site proves helpful then you will be likely to renew it at the end of the year.
As my one year is now up I no longer have a site there that you can visit to see what those sites look like. For anyone who did take up this offer at about the same time as I first posted this it is now time to look into getting your own hosting so as to set up a web site that you can control properly yourself. I do not recommend paying to continue with the one you currently have with MYOB as you should be able to get a far better site at a cheaper price elsewhere.